Thursday, September 30, 2010

magical laser website

A few weeks ago I found out about this website, ponoko.com, that will laser cut stuff for you out of all kinds of different materials: felt, acrylic panel, mdf, wood, leather, even METAL. It is SO GREAT. I immediately knew I wanted to make something using this process, but I didn't know what. I still don't know what. But I'm brainstorming. I sent a test file in just to get a look see at what the quality was like. I got it in the mail today and the precision of the cuts and engraving is just beautiful. So clean.

You can also BUILD stuff by making plans and laying out all the separate pieces that will fit together. I really want to build something.

Here's the little lion I got cut out of an acrylic sheet. I just want to look at it all the time.



I'm gonna try felt next.

5 comments:

Maria Filar said...

how much did it cost to make that lion and get it shipped to you?

Nikki DeSautelle said...

I got two lions, the small one pictured, and a bigger one about 4x7. You pay for the piece of material and the amount of time the laser spends cutting it and engraving it. So all together including shipping my order was $32, (shipping was $10, which is way too much). It's not super cheap, especially with complex shapes, but still, a cool service for prototypes and stuff

Chelsea Kirchoff said...

DUDE! THAT IS AWESOME! IT LOOKS AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

Nikki, that's so awesome. I want one so bad :D Shame the production is so expensive otherwise you could make money from that stuff!

Joanna said...

that's really cool! there's a place in ferndale that I've used a few times in the past to laser cut chipboard for architectural models. I think they did acrylic and other materials, too. but anyway. I like your lions!